Each year, our Recognition Awards are presented at a celebratory banquet.
AWIS-NCC presents awards to women who have combined their professional activities with support of other women in science. Training and education in science is not enough. We each need to find our individual ways of using our science and developing a professional life and career. In honoring individual women, AWIS recognizes the importance of mentoring and of teaching and sharing with others more than just the content and techniques or our science.
Nomination Info — nominations are currently closed
Ellen Weaver Award: To recognize a woman, who is early in her career, and working to advance research or technology in academia or industry.
Judith Pool Award: To recognize a woman established in her field, who is working to advance research or technology in academia or industry.
Sherrie Wilkins Award: To recognize a woman using her science away from the bench
We give awards in three professional categories.
Service to other women in science could be to the scientific community through professional societies, to young women or girls in schools or to individual women directly through mentoring and facilitating career development.
- Letter of nomination explaining how the nominee has helped other women develop professionally.
- CV or statement of the nominee’s educational background and professional history.
- Nominees should be able to attend the awards banquet, held in late April or early May of each year, and will be asked to speak briefly.
- Self-nominations are not accepted.
- Nominees need not be AWIS members.